We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Heading into quarter 2

As we are now heading into Q2 soon, I think we should discuss everything that was planned for Q1.

Planned work for Q1 2017:

• Ground work for full support for PHP 7/7.1
  • Fixing crucial (segfaults) bugs in Zephir
  • Creation of a Phalcon Github organization
  • Documentation enhancements/rewrite
  • Bug fixes in Phalcon
  • Phalcon promotion in social media

I realise the team is small and I wish to help out where I can and help boost the community.

I'm not confident enough with Zephir to help with the cphalcon project, but I am confident enough to help with the incubator project, though I have a couple of questions..

The Incubator Project

This is a repository to publish/share/experiment with new adapters, prototypes or functionality that can potentially be incorporated into the framework.

• How often do you look at the Incubator repo and decide "Yes, this is what is going in the next release"?

The Slack Channel

Joining the slack channel seems to require a @phalcontip.com e-mail address.

• How can I get one?
  • Why is the channel restrictred to that domain?
    • Is it a cost thing? If so, what about switching to Gitter?

I'm a busy guy, but would like to help with the project (as well as donating to the fund) - which are, in your opinion, the best ways I can?

I'm thinking about;

• Writing tutorials on my website (linking back to Phalcon) on various classes and usage and publishing on /r/php and other related sub-reddits.
  • Being active on the Phalcon tag on StackOverflow, answering questions (though not many are being asked there - I may ask a question to answer my own along with the tutorials I write on my website; but I'll have to read up on the StackOverflow rules for that)
  • Writing some useful libraries to use with Phalcon (like Laravels' Voyager)

Thoughts?

Accepted
answer
edited Mar '17

About Q1 plans:

1. Partially done, tests in travis are already working for php 7.1, already got some reports of people using phalcon on 7.1, there is even merged change merged to 3.1.x telling that php 7.1 support is fixed.
  2. Crucial bugs for support 7.1 and 7.2 are fixed for zephir, there are some others but they will be fixed sooner or later, EDIT: well not yet everything for php 7.2, still some broken things
  3. Done
  4. In progress
  5. In progress
  6. In progress

About incubator:

For example i got the idea of pdo factory and it will be implemented in phalcon 3.2.0 for all classes having any adapters.

Slack:

Idk, as i remember i normally registered with gmail.com email

I think best will be - improve docs, improve webtools/devtools/incubator as well as phalcon itself(zephir is not really so hard to learn, similar to php), also our forum needs some love and improvments and well other repositories. Also if you know java and how to develop plugins you could improve zephir plugin or create phalcon plugin for phpstorm.

To join slack you just go to this url https://slack.phalcon.io/

Thanks for the information

About Q1 plans:

1. Partially done, tests in travis are already working for php 7.1, already got some reports of people using phalcon on 7.1, there is even merged change merged to 3.1.x telling that php 7.1 support is fixed.
  2. Crucial bugs for support 7.1 and 7.2 are fixed for zephir, there are some others but they will be fixed sooner or later, EDIT: well not yet everything for php 7.2, still some broken things
  3. Done
  4. In progress
  5. In progress
  6. In progress

About incubator:

For example i got the idea of pdo factory and it will be implemented in phalcon 3.2.0 for all classes having any adapters.

Slack:

Idk, as i remember i normally registered with gmail.com email

I think best will be - improve docs, improve webtools/devtools/incubator as well as phalcon itself(zephir is not really so hard to learn, similar to php), also our forum needs some love and improvments and well other repositories. Also if you know java and how to develop plugins you could improve zephir plugin or create phalcon plugin for phpstorm.

Thanks!

To join slack you just go to this url https://slack.phalcon.io/