We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Weird session error "Failed to decode session object. Session has been destroyed"

CentOS release 6.9 (Final). Just upgraded from PHP 5.4 to 5.6. Environment information:

$ sudo yum list installed php*
[sudo] password: 
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, security
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
epel/metalink                                            |  12 kB     00:00     
 * base: mirror.cc.columbia.edu
 * epel: archive.linux.duke.edu
 * extras: centos-distro.1gservers.com
 * updates: centos.chicago.waneq.com
 * webtatic: sp.repo.webtatic.com
base                                                                                                                                                              | 3.7 kB     00:00     
docker-ce-stable                                                                                                                                                  | 2.9 kB     00:00     
epel                                                                                                                                                              | 4.3 kB     00:00     
epel/primary_db                                                                                                                                                   | 5.9 MB     00:00     
extras                                                                                                                                                            | 3.4 kB     00:00     
mongodb                                                                                                                                                           |  951 B     00:00     
pgdg96                                                                                                                                                            | 4.1 kB     00:00     
updates                                                                                                                                                           | 3.4 kB     00:00     
webtatic                                                                                                                                                          | 3.6 kB     00:00     
Installed Packages
php56w.x86_64                                                                               5.6.30-1.w6                                                                         @webtatic
php56w-cli.x86_64                                                                           5.6.30-1.w6                                                                         @webtatic
php56w-common.x86_64                                                                        5.6.30-1.w6                                                                         @webtatic
php56w-devel.x86_64                                                                         5.6.30-1.w6                                                                         @webtatic
php56w-ldap.x86_64                                                                          5.6.30-1.w6                                                                         @webtatic
php56w-mysql.x86_64                                                                         5.6.30-1.w6                                                                         @webtatic
php56w-pdo.x86_64                                                                           5.6.30-1.w6                                                                         @webtatic
php56w-xml.x86_64                                                                           5.6.30-1.w6                                                                         @webtatic

from phpinfo():

Author Phalcon Team and contributors Version 2.0.13 Build Date Jul 7 2017 15:11:14 Powered by Zephir Version 0.9.2a-dev

As of upgrading, my users were complaining that my application is kicking them out and forcing them to login again for no reason. Looking in /var/log/httpd/ssl_error_log I see lots of these:

[Fri Jul 07 16:18:00 2017] [error] [client 156.111.60.215] PHP Warning:  session_start(): Failed to decode session object. Session has been destroyed in /var/www/html/dbsr/app/config/services.php on line 93, referer: https://xxx.xxx.xxx.com/dbsr/

From app/config/services.php:

/**
 * Start the session the first time some component request the session service
 */
$di->set('session', function () {
    $session = new SessionAdapter();

if(!$session->isStarted()){

$session->start();

}
    return $session;
});

Nothing in the code base changed. I am running linux on my laptop and cannot replicate this problem but many users on windows are reporting it and I see those errors in the log corresponding to when they complain about losing the session.

Help!

what is your session handler ?

Are you sure you didnt configure php to save sessions in mongo somehow and mongo service might not be up or something like that ?

otherwise google where sessions were stored ( its being configured from php.ini ) and make sure php has rights to make files in that dir

session handler is Phalcon\Session\Adapter\Files as SessionAdapter;

Mongo is not installed.

The problem appears to be limited to windows clients using chrome, chrome on linux seems to not have this problem.

from /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.ini:

php_value session.save_handler "files"
php_value session.save_path    "/var/lib/php/session"

from /var/lib/php/session:

$ ls -la
total 32
drwxrwx---. 2 root   apache 12288 Jul 10 12:02 .
drwxr-xr-x. 4 root   root    4096 Jul  7 16:42 ..
-rw-------. 1 apache apache     0 Jul 10 09:17 sess_ST-301140-g7aNwU4Uk4de9WGkBRHm-idmcasprod2
-rw-------. 1 apache apache   134 Jul 10 11:03 sess_ST-307426-CLD4Pcey1rZawKBzEQ5u-idmcasprod2
-rw-------. 1 apache apache     0 Jul 10 11:11 sess_ST-307451-kXbg9YppsUbbA4vtNJZh-idmcasprod2
-rw-------. 1 apache apache   134 Jul 10 12:02 sess_ST-311587-DZIDhdqE1TqThcFWlkRB-idmcasprod2
-rw-------. 1 apache apache    38 Jul 10 11:18 sess_ST-337773-KDLkOWvNubX4bZadSTah-idmcasprod1
-rw-------. 1 apache apache   136 Jul 10 11:51 sess_ST-340169-SLMX4gWeTRfgILxZ4lzZ-idmcasprod1

So it appears that that directory is owned by apache and clearly apache can write to it. I am wondering about the 0k files though...

It's not a space issue:

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg_scissor01-lv_root
                       50G   21G   27G  45% /

And like I mentioned, this worked before I upgraded from php 5.4 to 5.6

Tried php7.0 and telling php to use memcached, still no dice. Going to try a memcache adapter and see if that works

Think I discovered the problem. In IndexController.php I have this:

$query = PatientList::query();

//some code to add to the where clause

$this->persistent->searchParams = $query->getParams();

Doing a print_r on $query->getParams() gives me a massive amount of objects. I managed to look inside one of the session files that looked big and it contained a lot of what looked like binary data including Phalcon objects.

Probably there is some unicode issue where binary data is being messed up and when I try to look at it later it gets corrupted.

I had the same issue in a completely different context. In my case the error occured when binary data is added to the session-data. Maybe this helps someone at another time.