Trying to update PHP on DigitalOcean Ubuntu 16.04 VPS w/ Phalcon Installed

I'm trying to update PHP 7.0 to PHP 7.2 on a DigitialOcean Ubuntu 16.04 VPS with Phalcon already installed.

When I try to run the following: sudo apt-get install php7.1 php7.1-common I get the following output:

Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done Note, selecting 'php7.2-phalcon' for regex 'php7.2' Note, selecting 'php7.2-memcached' for regex 'php7.2' Note, selecting 'php7.2-mysql' for regex 'php7.2' Note, selecting 'php7.2-sqlite3' for regex 'php7.2' Note, selecting 'php7.2-phalcon-dbgsym' for regex 'php7.2' Note, selecting 'php7.2-common-dbgsym' for regex 'php7.2' Note, selecting 'php7.2-pgsql' for regex 'php7.2' Note, selecting 'php7.2-phalcon-dbg' for regex 'php7.2' Note, selecting 'php7.2-common-dbgsym' for regex 'php7.2-common' Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies: php7.2-phalcon : Depends: phpapi-20170718 but it is not installable E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Following this Ask Ubuntu thread dind't solve it so I tried completely uninstalling Phalcon.

sudo apt list | grep phalcon outputs the following:

php7.0-phalcon/xenial 3.4.0-2 amd64 php7.0-phalcon-dbg/xenial 3.0.4-2 amd64 php7.0-phalcon-dbgsym/xenial 3.4.0-2 amd64 php7.1-phalcon/xenial 3.4.0-2+php7.1 amd64 php7.1-phalcon-dbgsym/xenial 3.4.0-2+php7.1 amd64 php7.2-phalcon/xenial 3.4.0-2+php7.2 amd64 php7.2-phalcon-dbgsym/xenial 3.4.0-2+php7.2 amd64

After that I ran apt show php7.0-phalcon which output the following:

Package: php7.0-phalcon Version: 3.4.0-2 Priority: optional Section: php Source: php-phalcon Maintainer: Serghei Iakovlev [email protected] Installed-Size: 5133 kB Pre-Depends: dpkg (>= 1.15.7.2) Depends: ucf, libc6 (>= 2.14), phpapi-20151012 Suggests: php7.0-mysql, php7.0-sqlite3, php7.0-pgsql, php7.0-memcached Download-Size: 1229 kB APT-Sources: https://packagecloud.io/phalcon/stable/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages Description: High performance PHP framework Phalcon is an open source web framework delivered as a C extension for the PHP language providing high performance and lower resource consumption. . This package provides the Phalcon PHP extension.

N: There are 60 additional records. Please use the '-a' switch to see them.

And finally I ran sudo apt-get purge php-phalcon in the attempt to remove Phalcon compeltely:

Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done E: Unable to locate package php-phalcon

Anyone has some ideas?

they way i upgrade my machines is:

1. I create a brand new machine
  2. I install eveything on it
  3. I change my hosts file so all my domains are working on the new machine
  4. After making sure everything is working i swap my machine IP's ( or you can change your domain IP ) the idea is to swap them

Also 18.04 is out now, so you can test it.

I can upgrade my php in matter of seconds, but its way too complicated to write it down and it depends on how you initially set up your machine