We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Did you choose Phalcon again?

Hello everybody!

I am in a dilemma.

In last years (about 2015) I created great service on top of the Phalcon. It was really cool to learn Phalcon. I like this framework very much, it is fast, easy to learn and very powerfull.

What about bugs? When I find bug in core, I am not able (probaly) to fix it myself, right?

I don't watch development of Phalcon right now, so I would like to ask you a question. Is there any bugs? Did you choose Phalcon for your project again? What about documentation, is it enought? What about community? Do people help?

Right no I need to decide which framework should I choose for my next project. There are Symfony, Yii and Phalcon on the stage.

Many thanks!

All frameworks will have bugs, so that is a given.

One thing I enjoy about Phalcon, is the structure doesn't change too often.

I am using it for different purposes than I did in years past, mainly for API constuction. It simply out performs other popular frameworks.

At my work we use symfony, but i hate it. Its way to bricked, tedious slow, also has bugs and you need to be an autist to quickly change things since its segmented beyond reasonable parts.

I love Phalcon because you can set it up your own way and still use best practises and MVC, its super fast and this foum will give you good help on most things you run into. And the developers are fixing bugs if you report them.

I do wish they would capitalize on the framework more, so they will have more time for it.

That's right. Symfony has some great components (console for example) but this framework seems to be too complicated. I don't like annotations. And doctrine, I don't like it (slow, complicated).

That's why I am back at Phalcon. But there is another problem. Since it is PHP extension, it is not enabled everywhere and it is real problem now. I don't want to manage VPS myself, backups etc.

So ..

edited Jun '18

You can rent server with an admin panel (like DirectAdmin) that have Phalcon installed if managing your own VPS is not your thing. The same thing would count towards Symfony, since you need SSH access to run the console commands you mentioned. (And If running on a external host).

That's right. Symfony has some great components (console for example) but this framework seems to be too complicated. I don't like annotations. And doctrine, I don't like it (slow, complicated).

That's why I am back at Phalcon. But there is another problem. Since it is PHP extension, it is not enabled everywhere and it is real problem now. I don't want to manage VPS myself, backups etc.

So ..

I always deploy only tested apps, so on host I do not need SSH for console commands, this is done on dev server..

The real point for me is why use an heavy framework to use an MVC structure when you can use native fonctions ? Just make your own framework arount it matching your needs.

Reinventing a wheel? Common.

For primitive small apps maybe. But for real things not.

No, just make the perfect wheel you need, its easy with phalcon all is there.

Yes, with Phalcon it is easy, I know.

So for my next project I will choose Phalcon.

I'm using it in my 2 of my projects. Currently working in company with very big application where most of it is using Phalcon. So already had experience in 3 working and released products based on Phalcon.

About bugs - if they are only phalcon related - then you can fix it in phalcon code, if bug is somehow caused by wrong behavior of zephir - then you need to know C and Zend Engine which 99% of PHP developers doesn't know.

My opinion is in posts in this topic: https://forum.phalcon.io/discussion/18073/my-current-situation-with-phalcon-lost-on-coworkers When I have a choice I select more powerfull and less problematic framework.

phalcon is my first used framework, i love it, it is very good, phalcon is coded use zephir,which is very similar as php.

ManaPHP is brother of phalon! https://github.com/manaphp/manaphp

I'm seeking to add the equal code in my internet pages. You can see right here. Actually I really like Phalcon due to the fact you may set it up your personal way and nevertheless use first-rate practises , its notable fast and this foum will give you excellent assist on most belongings you run into