Upgrading CentOS 6 to 7

Hello Guys,

I'm new using CentOS. In my new job, my boss asked me to upgrade CentOS from 6 to 7. I've read a lot of forums here and outside and there is different information related with this upgrade. Some people say that there is tool to make this upgrade but looks like is old and not working with latest versions. I've searched in several topics here, but I cannot found a clear answer or answer are too old.

Please, can you assist me with my question?

It is possible to upgrade CentOS from 6 to 7 without a fresh installation?

If yes, do you have a step by step site or any how to?

This is a critical server for my Company, so I don't want to brake it.

Thank you for your support an assistance.

Best, Mikiko

edited Mar '19

Since it is a critical server for the company you work for - do not proceed with anything yet.

Now, this has nothing to do with PhalconPHP, this is general Linux OS related stuff. So I'm really not sure if this is the right place for stuff like OS configuration, network etc.

In general upgrade from one major to next major OS release shall always be taken with precaution. That means never ever try anything on a live server, have a VM/container and test it through first on a dev env.

Of course, I always vote for a fresh installation, where possible.

I guess you either need to have a managed server or to hire someone who is a GNU/Linux expert, in other words you should not do it on your own.

edited Apr '19

Remote CentOS 7 installation I have an old server in the data center and I don't want to drive to the data center to put a CD in the box so I can install CentOS 7.

Is there any way that I can remotely install CentOS 7?

All of the data on the server can be lost. I don't need any from the old server.

@Vindieselwalker Sure you can - if your remote server has support for things like iLO, iPMI, iDRAC etc.

But why would you install CentOS at first place? Debian based flavours are much more suitable for web servers, but it's also a matter of preference...