Storing abitrary strings/paths etc

Hi there,

I want to read and reference certain files in my application. Most of them are off the value returned by $this->url->getBasePath() which is set to my document root. Is there a recommended approach in Phalcon to store paths and strings so that they are globally accessible, rather than keep defining them in each class that uses them?

theres not really a recommended approach ... i try to keep it simple by setting path to application folder in configuration file and use that as base path whereever its needed. as for relative urls i think generating urls with url service is the way to go.

Thanks for your advice. I've done this in index.php

* The URL component is used to generate all kind of urls in the application
  $di->set('url', function() use ($config){
    $url = new \Phalcon\Mvc\Url();
    return $url;

but I have a number of third party libraries that need additional pathing and it would be nice to have them specified once with some kind of centralised access. I think I've been recently spoiled by being able to registered my custom services in the DI container and just access them so easily.

It says a lot about Phalcon - it's really awesome :)

You can store those 3rd party libraries in the DI as well. You could also store the path to the libraries in your config, and just reference that whenever necessary.

I had some issues with file paths when initially using a config.ini file - I actually switched back to inlining the paths in the index.php file. Do you use a config.ini or some other approach as your config file approach?

I use a config.php file and Phalcon\Config.

When referencing the config from controllers, I simply do:

include $this->config->dirs->path_to_library

In models I have a custom di() function that returns a static instance of the DI container.

I wonder whether you'd be prepared to share your config.php file (well, the content structure)? I'm not sure what you mean by this - is this a Phalcon thing or something that you "created"! :)

Here's an abbreviated version of my config file:

* Set some path properties used in config
$FS       = '/var/www/htdocs/';
$WEB      = '';

/* Categories of configuration are listed first.  One-offs are listed after */
$Config = new Phalcon\Config([      
        ,'dirs' =>  ['config'                => $FS.'/app/config'
                        ,'app'              => $FS.'/app'
                        ,'app_web'          => $WEB
                        ,'assets_web'           => $WEB.'/public/assets'
                        ,'file_budget'      => realpath($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/../uploads/budget')
                        ,'file_acceptance'  => realpath($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/../uploads/acceptance')
                        ,'file_user'            => realpath($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'].'/../uploads/user')
                        ,'public'               => $FS.'/public'
                        ,'public_web'           => $WEB.'/public'
                        ,'views'                => $FS.'/app/views'
                        ,'views_compile'        => $FS.'/app/views/compiled/'
        ,'username_max_length'  => 20

return $Config;

And how it is put into my DI in my bootstrap.php

$Config = require 'config.php';

Little known fact: Files you reference with include() and require() can return a value.

Thank you very much! :)