We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Phalcon 2.0

Hello,

sorry for my bad english :-) i am new here and a absolutely beginner with phalcon 1.3 but i have practical knowledge in php.

i have only one question about phalcon 2.0: Have i got to learn a new programming language zephir or can i use php further?

Thx

You still can use php. WhuIile developing phalconphp the team decided to create zephir to let ppl contribute to the project (since phalcon is originally written as a c extension for php)

Accepted
answer

Phalcon 1.3 is written in C, then compiled - just like the PHP compiler is. When you write PHP code, it is interpreted/compiled by the PHP executable.

Phalcon 2.0 is written in Zephir, then compiled. You, as a PHP programmer using Phalcon, don't interact with Phalcon in it's raw, uncompiled state.

Ok thank you for your help

If you are just a user from the framework, there will be no difference from how you write your code (which will stay as it is: being in PHP). The difference is that if you are a developer who wants to write plugins or libraries to Phalcon you don't need to do this in C anymore, but Zephir, which is a language closer to PHP and thus easier to understand by its developers.