We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

Phalcon 2.0 or 1.3 ?

Hello, this project looks promising.

I have some questions before using it:

1) Should I wait for version 2.0 or can I just go with the latest 1.x ?

2) Will 2.0 have backward compatibility?

Thank you!

Accepted
answer

Phalcon 2 and Phalcon 1.3 have the same functionality, you can upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0 without breaking your application.

awesome!

Btw, just out of curiosity - since v2 is on top of Zephir, will v2 be 'slightly' less fast than v1.x or is the speed negligible as both are essentially turned into a C-extension?

Thanks!

Nice, that's what I thought of it! Thanks!

Phalcon 2 and Phalcon 1.3 have the same functionality, you can upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0 without breaking your application.

Having tested my application on both, i have some changes to do to make it works :

Phalcon\Config doesn't works the same exactly : ['key' => ['a', 'b', 'c']] have not the same behavior in 1.3.2 and 2.0.0 : $config->key is a Phalcon\Config in 1.3.2 and an array in 2.0.0

the declaration of ResponseInterface changed : 2.0.0 Phalcon\Http\ResponseInterface::setExpires(DateTime $datetime) 1.3.2 Phalcon\Http\ResponseInterface::setExpires($datetime)

Phalcon\Di\InjectionAwareInterface::setDI changed also 2.0.0 Phalcon\Di\InjectionAwareInterface::setDI(Phalcon\DiInterface $di) 1.3.2 Phalcon\Di\InjectionAwareInterface::setDI($di)

It's not major changes and they are good from my point of view, but it's not an upgrade "without" breaking

Hi Olivier, thanks for the info.

edited Sep '14

Phalcon 2 is not a released version, so you might probably find incompatibilities. I'm talking about the overall goal of make it backwards compatible with 1.3

It's not major changes and they are good from my point of view, but it's not an upgrade "without" breaking