Solved thread

This post is marked as solved. If you think the information contained on this thread must be part of the official documentation, please contribute submitting a pull request to its repository.

Codeception 1.8 or 2.0x?

I am trying to implement codeception into my palcon project. I'm relatively new to phalcon (since July) and totally new to testing (since 4 days ago, never did any formal tests of any kind before) so I may be seriously off track. But I have tried to implement the simplest of tests, following the tutorials for phalcon1/codeception 1.8 with a phalcon-simple project: just testing if the front page contains the word "Congratulations".

I can make this test pass for both acceptance and functional with 1.8 but I have found no way to make it pass for functional with 2.0.x. Further: 1.8 gives me meaningfull errors while 2.0x doesn't - which helped me solve a trivial issue I first fought with for two days in codecept 2.0.

So should I stay with codeception 1.8 or are there some tutorials/instructions that I need to go through to work with codecept 2.0?



20.1k
Accepted
answer

Congratulations!!! It is great to see that you are moving down the right track, i.e. testing your code using a tool like Codeception. I can assure you it will save you hours and hours of needless bug hunting in the future.

I run my tests with Codeception 1.8 and recently I have moved to Codeception 2.0. For my tests there has been no change really. All I had to do is:

php codecept.php self-update

and after that was completed (it updated Codeception to 2.0) I had to rebuild the base classes i.e. helpers such CodeGuy, DbGuy etc.

php codecept.php build

That should do it.

Just a FYI, for testing issues including those of Codeception, you can always check this forum out http://phptest.club/category/codeception

edited Oct '14

Thanks. I upgraded (using composer), replacing 1.8 with this:

"codeception/codeception": "2.0. @dev"

My tests still passes.

Funny thing is that if I update v1.8 it works but if I install directly v2.0x it doesn't. When I started out with v2.0x. It initially didn't work at all. Then I changed the class names from AcceptanceTester and FunctionalTester to WebGuy and TestGuy respectively, after which it did work some but the functional test still failed.

I suspect there are some more things to make the phalcon module work fully with v2.0.

EDIT: Did a complete reinstall (with composer). Codeception is now at 2.0.7, everything works (apparently) perfect. Don't know if was doing something wrong before or the update fixed things.