Solved thread

This post is marked as solved. If you think the information contained on this thread must be part of the official documentation, please contribute submitting a pull request to its repository.

How to make related models automatically cascade delete?

I have an Organizations model with many Sites models linked to it. I want to delete an Organizations model and have it cascade delete the site models. I added the "action" => Relation::ACTION_CASCADE, part because it was complaining with the message that there were existing Sites linked to the Organization. After I added this option it no longer complains but it is not actually deleting the related sites and its also not triggering the events. I can loop and delete all of the Sites and that works.

Also none of the afterDelete events are being triggered on any model.

protected function initialize()
    {
        $this->addSoftDeleteBehavior('status');

$this->hasMany('id', 'Project\Models\Sites', 'organizationsId', [
            'alias' => 'sites',
            'foreignKey' => [
                'action' => Relation::ACTION_CASCADE,
                'message' => 'Organization cannot be deleted because it has sites'
            ]
        ]);
    }

Can someone confirm the afterDelete event works as advertised. That event doesn't seem to be called. Does it have something to do with the soft delete?

Hi,

I'm not a guru with all these dbs stuff, but perhaps that problem come from the db design (maybe tell in db scema to cascade delete the related sites)

edited Dec '14

Sure I could do that but then I won't get access to the programming hooks and I prefer to use a database transaction in PHP.

I can put a Site delete loop in routine for deleting an Organization in a task, but that doesn't seem like the right place to put it.

Also, why are the afterDelete model events not firing?

$this->db->begin();

$sites = $org->getSites();
        foreach ($sites as $site) {
            if (!$site->delete()) {
                $this->db->rollback();
                $message = implode("\n", $org->getMessages());
                throw new \Exception("$message", 1);
            }
        }

if (!$org->delete()) {
            $this->db->rollback();
            $message = implode("\n", $org->getMessages());
            throw new \Exception("$message", 1);
        }

$this->db->commit();

Accepted
answer

The model is setup with the SoftDelete behavior and this causes the delete operation to cancel.

Yes. To clarify more, when SoftDelete is set up on a model, afterUpdate gets called instead of afterDelete when deleting.