We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

ORM afterFetch and beforeSave

Hi,

I'm actually using afterFetch and beforeSave to set transformation logic on the models and I didn't realize until now that if I create a Model instance and save it the instance retains the beforeSave transformations. For example:

// a model wich receives a datetime object and before save transforms it to datetime string
class Example extends Model 
{
      public function afterFetch()
      {
            $this->start = new DateTime($this->start);
      }

public function beforeSave()
      {
          $this->start = $this->start->format("Y-m-d H:i:s");
      }
}

so, when I fetch the model I get $instance->start = Datetime object

and for saving:

$example = new Example();
   $example->start = new DateTime();
   $example->save();  

var_dump($example); // $example->start is now a string (used to save in database)

it saves correctly on database but I can't use the object properly since the data integrity fail.

So the question is: How can achieve this? Not using setters and getters manually.

P.D. I already wrote about this on other post etc, but it will be great to have magic getters and setters used when defined.

class Example extends Model 
{
      public function setStart(DateTime $start)
      {
            $this->start = $this->start->format("Y-m-d H:i:s");
      }

public function getStart()
      {
          return new DateTime($this->start);
      }
}

There is another event called beforeValidationOnUpdate. Put the logic you currently have in beforeSave() in beforeValidationOnUpdate(), and the $start value will be converted to a string before it gets validated.

There is another event called beforeValidationOnUpdate. Put the logic you currently have in beforeSave() in beforeValidationOnUpdate(), and the $start value will be converted to a string before it gets validated.

This does not work of course. What beforeValidationOnUpdate would do is the same I do but before validate the data and only on update. What I want is to have a model with some properties filled with objects (don't need to know the specific database format, like dates for example) and everytime I access that properties I want to have the objects I set. Actually, when I save, the model itself transforms the data to match the database needs, but after that (the saving) my model kepts the data transformed (on the example the property becomes a string beforeSave and after that).

Accepted
answer

Look at the afterSave() event then. In beforeValidationOnUpdate(), you store the object that is in $start in some other class variable - something like $_startWhileSaving. Then convert $start to a string. In afterSave(), you then transfer the value of $_startWhileSaving back in to $start

Look at the afterSave() event then. In beforeValidationOnUpdate(), you store the object that is in $start in some other class variable - something like $_startWhileSaving. Then convert $start to a string. In afterSave(), you then transfer the value of $_startWhileSaving back in to $start

Yes, that could do the trick. I was so focus in getter and setters that I didn't realize about the afterSave. I will try it asap. Thanks.