We have moved our forum to GitHub Discussions. For questions about Phalcon v3/v4/v5 you can visit here and for Phalcon v6 here.

PHP 7 - can you please update us on the progress?

Hi Andres,

Could you please update us on the state of the work to support PHP 7 in Zephir/Phalcon? The world is waiting (im)patiently :-)

Thank you!

i am also super excited, so please php7 support

edited Dec '15

php7 might be already released, but is still not fully usable in all projects because are still extensions that doesn't work. From my tests Oracle and ODBC.

As a side note, cPanel didn't even started working on adding PHP7 and most likely it won't until spring.

The industry needs time to adapt, so I find it acceptable to have phalcon by spring and for phalcon 2.1+

I am not saying that they should have it by the end of next week.

I was only asking Ph/Zep developers to tell us about their PHP7 plans and work progress. Nothing more.

Accepted
answer

Support for php7 is on the works, only the parsers (PHQL, Volt, Annotations) need to be migrated to PHP7 extensions as these sections are purely C code. We hope to have a functional version soon.

Thanks for the update!

with php7 will faster then before?

edited Dec '15

zephir dont manipulate arrays speed, php7 has like 1000% array immprovements. So this only sohuld bring at least extra 10% i think

Support for php7 is on the works, only the parsers (PHQL, Volt, Annotations) need to be migrated to PHP7 extensions as these sections are purely C code. We hope to have a functional version soon.

thanks for the update. Is there anything we can do for help ? Do you migrate them in C too or in Zephir ?

Mmm I read somewhere about idea, to rebuild Phalcon on PHP7. Now I see this is not gona happen.. :D Still cant wait for PHP7 support in Phalcon ^^

@Armin there was an idea is to generate PHP code directly from Zephir. I no longer had time to follow the development, but Zephir core needed to be rewritten to be able to generate extension for PHP7, 5.x, and if possible PHP code too.

Ok, so what's the release date ? Do you know any ? Week ? Month? A year? Anything ... ?

Future of Phalcon with php 7 ?

its working.

git clone zephir
git pull origin master

git clone phalcon
git checkout 2.1.x

zephir build --zendEngine=3

load the extension, there are like 2-3 tiny problems which i havent meet yet.

@izo,

Have you tried this already in production? Looking at this , do you think it is stable enough for new project? tia

its working.

git clone zephir
git pull origin master

git clone phalcon
git checkout 2.1.x

zephir build --zendEngine=3

load the extension, there are like 2-3 tiny problems which i havent meet yet.

yes, its working swell.

the only annoying bug that i cant figure out is because of this commit https://github.com/phalcon/cphalcon/commit/e9968fe0460036d74d67d4bea35a76479b1d5777

using more then one view

$di->set('view', function() {

$view = new View();
            $view->setViewsDir([
                MODULES_DIR . 'whatever/views/',
                COMMON_DIR . 'views/'
            ])

like this - it fucks up the who page because it re - renders everything multiple times the same container. So in my fork this commit is reverted, or you just manually edit the file and fix it. And this is in case you use this multiple views dir.

Otherwise I haven't see a single other problem with my apps runnign with php7.

edited Nov '17

Great to know that most of everything works fine with the exception of multiple views. Thanks for the heads up, ill look more into that.

yes, its working swell. 

the only annoying bug that i cant figure out is because of this commit
 https://github.com/phalcon/cphalcon/commit/e9968fe0460036d74d67d4bea35a76479b1d5777

using more then one view

$di-set('view', function() {

$view = new View();
            $view-setViewsDir([
                MODULES_DIR . 'whatever/views/',
                COMMON_DIR . 'views/'
 ])

like this - it fucks up the who page because it re - renders everything multiple times the same container.
 So in my fork this commit is reverted, or you just manually edit the file and fix it.
 And this is in case you use this multiple views dir. 

Otherwise I haven't see a single other problem with my apps runnign with php7.